I saw this idea onÂ Jamie Oliver’sÂ new (new to theÂ Food NetworkÂ anyway, it’s from 2007) showÂ Jamie at Home. Â On his egg show, he did a recipe that he didn’t name, but I rather thought should be called Eggy Crumpets. Â Turns out,Â so did he.Â Â Here’s my take on it.
- 1 small pat of butter
- 2 large eggs (preferably organic – they taste better!)
- seasoning of your choice – I usedÂ Trader Joe’sÂ 21 Seasonings Salute.
- 2 crumpets (organic if you can get them)
- good organic tomato sauce (aka ketchup)
- Whisk the two eggs in a shallow flat container with the seasonings.
- Place the crumpets top side down into the egg mixture to soak up. Â Push down to get maximum soakage, then turn over. Â Repeat with the other side.
- Put the small pat of butter In a non-stick frying pan, Â moving it around to coat the whole base of the pan. Heat until it just starts to sizzle.
- Place the crumpets into the pan, flat side down. Â This is where I also drizzled about half each of the left over egg over the top of each crumpet. Â Pan fry for about a minute or two, until the bottom is golden brown.
- Â Carefully with a spatula/egg flip, flip over onto the other side. Â Pan fry until the bottom again is golden brown.
- Gently flip into a plate, and serve with a good lashing of your condiment of choice. Â Mine is Heinz’s organic Tomato Sauce (US) or Australia’s Rosella’s Tomato Sauce.